Monday 9 May 2011

Living slothly


Love for Sloths

Some time ago, while I was exploring etsy looking for a little present for me, I've ended up in the wonderful shop of a very talented maker of jewelry. Mary hand makes a wide range of very cute characters, the one more sweet than the other. Yet, to chose my favorite one was not difficult because I'm really fallen in love with a necklace with a little happy sloth clung to the chain as pendant... now it is a tender friend of mine, a kind of totem animal for me, which comes with me everywhere I go. I love it very much, thanks a bunch, Mary!

Wonderful happy sloth necklace by marymaryhandmade

Here in France the word "sloth" is translated with "paresseux", that means lazy, idle. This translation, however, has in itself a kind of negative judgement that is not able to do justice to the distinctive feature of this wonderful animal, whose proverbial slowness could epitomize, instead of a simply laziness, a tenacious struggle against the frenzied paces of our contemporary life . The sloth becomes, by this way, the ultimate anti-conformist that, thanks to its zen quietness and its sneering smile, seems to damn about the confusion that surrounds it.

draw by Laura Berger, alias laurageorge

By the way, I'm not the only one to adore these wonderful animal. Here above you find also a wonderful draw of Laura Berger, a fantastic artist based in Chicago about whom I'd like to write a post of my special my favorite illustrators series because I love very much her style. And below you can take a look to a tv advertising of some time ago in which the protagonist is a sloth who's grappling with very little but without ending daily actions... it always makes me smiling, I hope it would be the same for you!


And, me too I l this odd animal inspires me; here's the outcome: a hand carved rubber stamp and a felt necklace that you can find on my etsy. I hope you like them as well!

Love for Sloths Love for Sloths
Love for Sloths Love for Sloths



4 commenti:

Marthaamay O_o on 10 May 2011 at 01:00 said...

NIce and simple. :)

Unknown on 11 May 2011 at 09:44 said...

Great blog!!
I know today and its fantastic!!

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com on 15 November 2011 at 10:20 said...

They are really cute in a kind of... ehm... unusual way, those animals! In Swedish, a sloth is a "lazy worm". Hm. Might not be as fun when you create stamps!

Quaym on 15 January 2013 at 09:04 said...

The happy sloth chain is adorable! I want one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin